Free Mask Kits
How do I get a mask kit?
Kits are available for pick up with no in-person contact in our vestibule Monday through Saturday from noon until 5 PM.
Happy Dance Quilting
650 S Shelby St
Louisville, KY 40202
If you can’t come by during that time, reach out to us and we’ll work something out!
How do I make my masks?
How do I wear my mask?
Wearing your mask properly and following correct cleanliness procedures makes a big difference in the effectiveness of wearing masks!
Alternate way to tie your mask: If you can’t get the bottom of your mask to fit snugly under your chin, hook the bottom ties above your ears (like you did with the top ties) and tie at the crown of your head.
How should I wash my mask?
AVOID TOUCHING YOUR FACE with or without the mask. If you do, immediately and thoroughly wash your hands.
When you first get home, wash your hands, then remove your mask. If you’re not going to wash it right away, keep it in a bag that can be washed or is disposable, separate from other items. It’s good practice to do this with your clothes as well.
Wash your mask in warm or hot water (above 80°F) with soap and dry completely in the dryer. This ensures the virus is killed on the mask.
What filter should I use in my mask?
How can I help?
I know how to sew and want to make masks: Contact us and we’ll gather the materials you need! Click here to contact.
I can’t / don’t have time to sew, but still want to help! Thank you very much! Unfortunately, we aren’t set up to accept donations at this time.
The best way all of us can help is to stay home and wash our hands!
I’ve made a lot of masks. What do I do with them?
Assuming you’ve already given masks to all your friends and family, there are a few other avenues for mask donation!
#SewTOGETHER by tieks. Tieks is giving $50 and $100 gift cards to anyone who makes 25 or 100+ masks! They have some guidelines as to how to prove your donation, so check out their site by clicking here.
Can I choose what color fabrics are in my mask kit?
Unfortunately, we’re not offering color choices at this time. We assemble and bag the kits with a variety of colors and want to minimize the number of people handling the items.
- Kentucky Governor’s Website for all KY-related COVID-19 Updates:
- How to Protect Yourself & Prep for the Coronavirus: https://www.nytimes.com/article/prepare-for-coronavirus.html#link-31e767cc
- April 3, 2020: CDC Recommends Everyone Wear Cloth Masks in Public: https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-recommending-cloth-masks-face-coverings-in-public-spaces-2020-4?fbclid=IwAR1PsJ0dtlHwDI7K4qGSpQKWYo3EX0sKsHfBFdeAm3UGSTaH_M0E6r8TGnA
- Pattern Inspiration: https://sarahmaker.com/how-to-sew-a-surgical-face-mask-for-hospitals-free-pattern/
- Alternate Pattern (with lots of other info about masks in general!): https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cloth-Face-Mask/
- Best Material to Use in a Homemade Mask: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/
- How to Wash Clothes During a Pandemic: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-long-coronavirus-live-clothing-washing_l_5e724927c5b6eab779409e74?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADxnTVPRmu8_GUGsQcgCgjtWSivW6cCrVWWPQT43WmFNHGhVsYAHbFyzMD5QTJ5fmqs-WlofJWdHrGFmnUIOSZWvcM73B1iuwy8Glp37jNiUadc_lwi8GOgphwvk2Yr83s_s4QDWY1889kzDTPvSb2Xjl7Ejvsbdbe4kjx8WSQ3P
- American Chemistry Council’s List of Products that Kill COVID-19: https://www.americanchemistry.com/Novel-Coronavirus-Fighting-Products-List.pdf
- Tying a Mask to Prevent Glasses Fogging: